Prepare time: 20 min Cooking time: 1 hr 20 min Ready in: 1 hour 10 min
Risotto takes a while to cook properly, and it requires your attention as well as your time.
- 1½ cups arborio riceb
- 1 qt chicken stock
- ½ cup vermouth or another dry white wine
- 1 medium shallot or ½ small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 3 Tbsp whole butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Heat the stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan, then lower the heat so that the stock just stays hot.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil and 1 Tbsp of the butter over medium heat.
- When the butter has melted, add the chopped shallot or onion. Sauté for 2–3 minutes or until slightly translucent.
- Add rice oil and melted butter ans stir with wooden spoon.
- Add the wine and cook while stirring, until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Add a ladle of hot chicken stock to the rice and stir until the liquid is fully absorbed. Repeat this process for three times.
- After 20–30 minutes or until the grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy.
- Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, the Parmesan cheese, and the parsley, and season to taste with Kosher salt.